Armenian-American Museum Breaks Ground; 1 of 6 Museum Projects Now Underway
Alajajian Marcoosi Architects, rendering of Armenian-American Museum and Cultural Center, Glendale
A ceremony on Sunday marked ground breaking for the Armenian-American Museum and Cultural Center, Glendale. The museum is projected to open in summer 2024.
It's a measure of local museum construction activity that this is one of six major projects now underway in the metro-L.A. region and expected to open through 2024. The other five are:
• Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, Los Angeles (opens Sep. 21, 2021)
• Cheech Marin Center for Chicano Art and Culture, Riverside (spring 2022)
• Orange County Museum of Art's (Morphosis-designed campus opens Oct. 8, 2022)
• Lucas Museum of Narrative Art, Los Angeles (2023)
• LACMA (Peter Zumthor-designed David Geffen Galleries is projected for 2024)
Two other long-planned projects, UCLA Hammer Museum's Michael Maltzan-designed expansion and UC Irvine's new Institute and Museum of California Art, are in the fund-raising stages.