Hammer to Host Bob Thompson Show

Bob Thompson, Homage to Nina Simone, 1965. Minneapolis Institute of Art
The New York Times has a feature on the enduring influence of Bob Thompson (1937-1966), linked to a new traveling retrospective that will touch down in L.A. "Bob Thompson: This House Is Mine," at the Colby College Museum of Art (Waterville, Maine) through Jan. 9, 2022, travels to the Smart Museum of Art, Chicago; the High Museum of Art, Atlanta; and the UCLA Hammer Museum. 

Thompson has hardly been exhibited in Los Angeles. The NYT piece quotes Henry Taylor: "I think I stumbled on him in a bookstore. I was like, 'Damn, how come they didn’t tell me?'" 

Comments

Anonymous said…
In other news, the Obama portraits are coming to LACMA. Even though I want to see them, I'm not sure it'll be worth the $20 for just 2 paintings.